Governor Evers signed an Executive Order (EO #38) creating the Office of Sustainability and Clean Energy in the Department of Administration. The Office will work toward the goal of 100 percent carbon-free electricity statewide by 2050 in partnership with other state agencies and utilities. Originally, the goal was part of the Governor’s budget but was taken out by the joint finance committee.
The EO supports a clean energy economy to create thousands of family-supporting jobs, support Wisconsin’s agriculture industry, improve health and help mitigate climate change.
The EO includes:
- Creating the Office of Sustainability and Clean Energy that will be headed by Lieutenant Governor Mandela Barnes
- Fulfilling the carbon reduction goals of the 2015 Paris Climate Accord
- Developing and implementing a clean energy plan through a stakeholder engagement process
- Promoting clean energy workforce training
- Fostering business development in energy efficiency, renewable energy and sustainability
- Developing energy efficiency and renewable energy standards for new and existing state buildings