Tata Power Announces No New Coal-Fired Capacity

Tata Power, India’s largest private integrated power company, announced it will cease building new coal-fired capacity and pursue renewable energy as its long-term strategy. The company’s plan includes 70 percent of new capacity from solar, wind, and hydro through 2025. The remaining 30 percent will come from cheaply acquired, pre-existing coal-fired capacity. Repeated financial losses at the country’s largest coal plant and profitable renewables helped convince Tata to divest from coal-fired power. The company already leads India in rooftop solar, electric vehicle charging, and grid-scale battery storage. IEEFA